1. Login with your Minecraft username and your website password. Get this password on our server with the /password command.

About the mobs spawning on MCDaily

Discussion in 'Questions for staff' started by coolmattie, Mar 8, 2018.

?

Should there be a guaranteed wither skull drop?

1. Every 20 kills

33.3%
  2. Every 30 kills

33.3%
  3. Every 40 kills

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No do not guarantee a drop

33.3%
  1. coolmattie 3yrVeteran Donator Martis Rank

I was flying around the other day on the server looking for gravel. I remember that it was day time. And yet I saw zombies, skeletons, creepers and endermans popping up out of nowhere. So I am wondering how this can happen since it is day time and no other players are online. Next question regarding this subject. Why is it that when I am the sole player online and I am in the nether dimension I only get 10 pigmen spawn max. I have enough spawning spaces. I am 128 blocks above the bedrock layer so that only mobs can spawn in my farm. Yet only 10 spawn max, while when I was testing in single player I got a continious stream of pigmen ready to die. I got 2 chests full of items in under 10 minutes. Now i am lucky if i get 2 stacks in that same time frame. For those wondering how my farm looks, I based my design of the farm built by the genious pal called Ilmango. He has a tutorial on youtube for a simple 1.12.2 gold farm which is supposed to give 115 k XP per hour. I am only getting 5 k XP per hour is my estimate. I hope there is a bug somewhere on the server because something is clearly not right. I know it is SMP so that spawning works different and you share a mob cap with others. But this is just insane. I have 12 pigmen around my farm with name tag so that they won't despawn and that they will aggro trigger the new spawning pigmen. In my opinion this farm will not cause any mittens. Because the amount of stress it puts on the server is probably even lower than a couple of spawners spawning blaze. The gigantic nether portal spawners are way worse because they have to be linked to a portal in the nether and they generate a ridiculous amount of particles while I only get death and xp. Hopefully I can come up with a fix togehter with Devs and admins. Because I think I am not the only one with this problem. But there is more, I was building a platform around a fortress so that wither skeletons would spawn. I know this work is tedious, even with looting 3 you need to kill about 12 skeletons to have a 50 percent chance of getting 1 skull. I got about 5 skulls and then the most abnormal thing happened. I killed 50 skeletons approximately without getting a single skull, I knew this because of the statistics in minecraft. When you kill 50 skeletons you have a 90 % chance of getting a skull. Of course you are not guaranteed one ever. But 100 skeletons without a skull is almost impossible. So is there a maximum of skulls you can get per hour or per day because I was not getting anymore after the 5 I got previously. Hopefully someone can shed some light upon my questions and help me out here.
    Happy Diamond hunting greets,
    Coolmattie

Edit #1

I have found the website with the wither skeleton graph again. The purple curve is the probability of a skull dropping. L is the level of looting, K is the amount of wither skeleton kills and S is the amount of skulls that have been obtained. I have killed at least 55 without getting any. So lets take my 55 as an example. You have an 80 % chance of getting 50 skulss within that 55 kills. and a 95% of getting 1 skull. Here is the graph for anyone to play around with https://www.desmos.com/calculator/zqynwkb98z

Edit #2

I think the issue lies in Spigot, since more things tend the break when Spigot is running. But I believe the issue can be sovled by using the right settings. I could play around with it for a bit I guess.

Edit #3

Just to be clear, I am not hating on any individual or group. I am just so frustrated that I have to spend hours to build and research and modify a farm. Only to find out it works for 10%. I heared from wazoomie in the past that he was looking into a mod which groups mobs together in packs. For anyone who plays modded. Compressed mobs, these were very common in certain packs. It is like 9 zombies grouped up into 1 compressed zombie. When you kill the zombie you get the rewards of killing 9. Something similair like this would be an improvement already.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. JaMcSu Helper Martis Rank

The mobs spawning in the daytime could just be an unloaded chunk glitch. Creepers and Endermen dont burn up in the daytime, although all hostile mobs usually despawn when you are ~128 blocks away from them. Or it could just be they were hiding under trees so the sunlight wasn't hitting them.

The pigmen not spawning above the nether problem is an issue that I had also. I chalked it up to be reduced server render distance preventing the pigmen from spawning more than x amount of blocks away from the player. The design you stated is intended for a 16 chunk server render distance, I could be wrong but I think it is set to like 12 or so.

Afaik, the wither skull drop occurrence is the same as vanilla minecraft. So you have the same chance of getting a skull on the server as you do on a SP world.

3. coolmattie 3yrVeteran Donator Martis Rank

Except the farm I used does not care about 16 or 12 chunks it is both enough, in single player it works 10 times as good as I stated. I tested it with 10 chunks and it still works, of course 2 chunks would not work it it were possible to get that low. So yeah your first point doesn't really apply in this case. The farm may be designed for 16 yes but that doesnt take away that it won't work with less as i just tested. And for the skulls I refer to the drop rate curve i linked in my post. 50 is just outrageous with looting 3. Before I got 2 skulls from 4 skeletons which is just luck. That is why I ask if a player can get x amount of skulls per day. I just tested with looting 3 and wither skeletons. After about 30 skeletons I had 3 skulls. I got my first after 22 and 1 more just after at 23. So yes it is random I know see the graph. But 50 without getting a single one is almost impossible as you can see i had 3 within 30 kills.

4. camiwarrior Zeus Moderator Saturni Rank Plot of the Week Dragon Slayer Top Voter

I'm sorry I can't help offer any more information then what jamcsu has offered regarding why for your questions, but I can tell you that you are not alone with looting wither skulls. I had made it my duty to get 3 skulls (yes I carried a looting3 dia sword), and I was gonna continue killing wither skellys til I got em. Well, I killed approx. 160 before I got the three. Bad luck, maybe, but you're not the only one.

5. Brimragen Discoverer Donator Saturni Rank Previous Top Donator Last Month's Top Donator Top Voter

How are you flying?
    I would love to be able to fly around however my access to /fly is only for the plots world
    Is it possible to buy the perms for /fly in survival?

6. JaMcSu Helper Martis Rank

Elytra + Flight Boost Rockets

Unfortunately not :|

7. coolmattie 3yrVeteran Donator Martis Rank

Yes like JaMcSu said use miner wings with flight rockets. The best ones are the duration of 1 rockets. Yes you need to take at least a stack if you want to get somwhere but they are really cheap. Only 16 coins or 160 dollars in mcdaily to get one so if you vote 3 times a day. You can buy yourself almost 5 stacks. Which is enough to fly across the overworld. I have used my Elytra for so many hours in the nether that I basicly mastered it.